Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Optimist Creed

I'm sure most of you have had this experience, when over the years a particular note, letter, card, or some sort of paper item floats in and out of your life from time to time. You forget you even have it, but there it is again when you least expect it. And, if you ever try to find it, you can't. How does that work?  I can't even explain it, but today, one of those pieces of paper showed up, again. It drifted down from something and landed at my feet as I was cleaning my art studio.  Is there a message in that? I will keep my eyes and ears open!

The item I speak of is a little business-card sized piece of paper that has been copied many times over. Someone gave it to me in the mid-eighties when I lived in Alaska. I remember being at work at Anchorage Community College, Business Office, when someone handed it to me. I thought it was cool, so I kept it. It was during the rage of the Positive Thinking movement. During that movement, I also remember having a small, brass button that read "All Things are Possible." I wore it on my suit lapel. Okay, so I was over the top—ha!

Back to this piece of paper... It is one of those things that I wanted nearby, but didn't want to tack it to the wall, and I don't like anything on my refrigerator door, so I would tuck it in a book, or in my little card box, or in my studio.

I'm just glad it appears now and then. So here is what this little piece of paper reads, as I would like to share it with you.

The Optimist Creed

Promise Yourself—
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only of the best, to work only for the best and expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
—Optimist International   c. 1985

Even though it is now permanently posted on my blog, I hope that it continues to float in and out of my life, so that I can be reminded to keep my peace of mind, to look at the sunny side, be enthusiastic, and most importantly, to keep a cheerful attitude for everyone around me.

Be happy,
Penny

2 comments:

Lonalee Virgo said...

I love your story, and your creed. I am making my own little paper to keep and read! Thank you so much.
Lona

Penny Shrawder said...

Thank you Lonalee! May it be filled with all things good! ;-)



"TENDERNESS" WAS CHOSEN AWARD OF EXCELLENCE IN THE MANHATTAN ARTS INTERNATIONAL JURIED COMPETITION!